Friday, September 11, 2015

Blog Elul: Bless

I never really connected with prayer until I was a senior in high school. I always loved the community nature of the services at synagogue and at camp, but I was never someone who would pray to God before I went to bed at night.

But then, I realized something: God is with me in every breath and every step. God isn't going anywhere. He can't decide He doesn't want to be friends with me anymore or get too busy for me. I can be angry with him, but He will still be there forgiving me with open arms.

I am blessed every time that the morning light streams into my room through the blinds I forgot to pull and every time that I successfully make it up the hill to class. I am blessed to have absolutely incredible role models and great friends. I am blessed to have my incredible camp that taught me how to be independent. I am blessed to be strong against most of the odds.

We all get dealt a hand of cards. We don't control which cards we get, and sometimes, those cards that were originally turned down, get flipped over at the most inopportune times. But we still get to choose which ones to play. We choose the person who we want to present to the world. God blesses us with the ability to do so. Even if your hand may seem like the worst one in the world, you choose the rules of the game. If you don't let the cards you've been dealt hold you back, they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment