Tuesday, September 15, 2015

And It Feels Like Home

Over the last couple of days, I have spent my first high holidays away from my home synagogue. I'm not going to lie and say that it was easy, because it won't. I still longed to hear my Rabbi's voice and hang out with all of my friends. But this Rosh Hashanah was great in its own way. I got the chance to spend it with new friends in a community that welcomed me with open arms.

The wonderful thing about going to a school that is so Jewish is that even though I do miss home so do all of my friends, and we compensate for that pain by eating large amounts of meals together and laughing. Tonight, I sat between our Jewish chaplain and one of my friends and we spent the meal telling jokes about Jewish Mothers.

 I think we often forget to laugh during the Days of Awe. We forget that our years must be filled with joy as well as with meaning and introspection. We are so focused on our mistakes and asking forgiveness that we forget how important it is to savor each moment that we have with the communities that surround us.

No comments:

Post a Comment