Sunday, May 1, 2016

It's Real For Us: Harry Potter Impact Tag

This post is inspired by this video by Lauren Fairweather, a youtuber who I love dearly. I spent a large part of my afternoon today, after finishing some homework, thinking about what Harry Potter means to me, partly because I happened upon some old videos from some you tubers I like: Jackson Bird and Lauren Fair-weather. They are wonderful, you should definitely check them out. 

SPOILERS: Harry Potter Books and Movies (Have you really not read them yet/)

1.Has Harry Potter changed you as a person in any way? If so, how? 

I don't really know how to put into words how HP changed me as a person. I think I am a more confident and caring person. I say that my spirit animal is Molly Weasley because of her desire to make sure everyone else is comfortable...oh wait, maybe I should save this for question #4. I think I also learned a lot about friendship and about the fact that friendship can come from the most unlikely sources, like Harry and Dobby or Harry and Luna. I learned that love, rather than hate, tends to triumph in the end and that relationships are really important. I could go on and on, but it you aren't as obsessed with Harry Potter as I am, I assume you've already gotten bored.

2. Have you ever made a friend because of Harry Potter? 

Harry Potter was really the first fandom I was at all active in, so I made some friends in various places because of that, but mostly, Harry Potter has built my friendships in real life and made them stronger. When you meet another over obsessed HP fan, the excitement that builds as you recount your favorite spells (I'm a huge fan of those cause I'm a Classics Major) and your favorite moments in the book and debate over whether the epilogue was terrible or wonderful.

3. What is the most important thing you've learned from the Harry Potter books? 

I think that the most important thing that I've learned is that it's okay to be different. I learned this from Luna as she continued to be unapologetically enthusiastic about things that most of the people around her though were fake. Another important lesson that I learned from the books was the fact that your family can be composed of many different people. I learned this from Harry when he was stuck in the his cupboard being incredibly mistreated by the Dursleys and when he basically became a part of the Weasley family. And I learned it from Luna when she was so surprised to have friends by the time she got to her last year at Hogwarts. 

4. Which character inspires you the most? Why?

Molly Weasley. She is a caretaker, someone who usually puts other people before herself. One of my favorite moments is during the final battle of Hogwarts when they are fighting Bellatrix Lestrange, and Bellatrix goes after Ginny and Molly calls, "not my daughter, you b****!" The amount of motherly love and loyalty in that statement is inspiring to me.
5. Have you ever created something inspired by the books? 

Quite a few friendship bracelets and my roommate and I are making a Weasley clock. I think everything I do, now is in a way inspired by the books because they are so intertwined with my life.

6. Name one cool thing you've done that never would've happened without Harry Potter. 
I can't come up with one relationship or one thing that would not have happened without HP, but I wouldn't be a part of any fandoms or have joined HPA if I hadn't loved Harry Potter so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment