Thursday, October 29, 2015

How Shabbat At School Has Conquered my FOMO.

Quick definition of terms:
Shabbat: the Jewish Sabbath day going from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown.
FOMO:Fear of missing out, usually used to describe social situations.

I have only missed one Shabbos dinner since I have been here at school. Therefore, I have spent a huge amount of time with my Hillel friends and other members of the Jewish community here at school between all of those dinners and all of the holidays, I'd say we are essentially family. Yet, if you go to my Facebook page(perhaps you were sent here from there), you will see that there are very few pictures of me with these incredible people. This is because it is a Jewish custom not to use electronics on holidays, including Shabbat. In an age of "pics or it didn't happen," this fact is incredible. All of those amazing memories did happen, and they were sacred even though we didn't take pictures. The removal of the need to preserve every single moment actually allowed me to have more fun and make more meaningful relationships, and I no longer worry about FOMO. I just worry about enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment